Ditch the stress and adopt a triangular escape board. Simply place between the supers and brood chamber during honey harvest and bees will exit the super, but not be allowed back in.
How it Works:
Bees navigate according to a strict set of rules. When a bee reaches an obstruction, it will always travel to the right and follow that obstruction till it can go no further. It will never go left. In the case of the Triangle escape board, the bees smell through the small circle of screen on the escape board, but they can't enter there, and they can't figure out to go six inches away and enter at the points of the triangle.
10 Frame Escape Board
- External dimensions: 19 7/8" long x 16 1/4" wide x 1 1/2" high
- Weight: 2 pounds 10 ounces
8 Frame Escape Board
- External dimensions: 19 7/8" long x 13 3/4" wide x 1 1/2" high
- Weight: 2 pounds 4 ounces
- Don’t leave the escape board on for longer than 24 hours or the bees may find alternative ways into the super
- If brood is present in the honey super, nurse bees will not leave the super